There are very few things in life that I regret, meeting my ex-boyfriend would definitely be one and not attending Sizzle this year in Miami would be second. I actually had the weekend off with flying benefits and a VIP card thanks to my boss, but I chose to live vicariously through my friends who were basking in the beauty of thousands of black men on the beautiful sandy beaches of Miami.
This crazy decision definitely qualifys me for a "what in the hell were you thinking award"? . But I know I wasn't the only person absent from the festivities, so if you didn't make it down to Sizzle I'm bringing you the hottest recap of the weekend's events thanks to an anonymous guest blogger. Pictures courtesy of Lonnell Williams .
10 Things You Should Know
This year I had the opportunity to attend Miami Sizzle's 6th Annual event in sunny Miami, Florida, and to call it pandemonium would be a true understatement. CEO Dwight Powell and his team (Lorenzo Turner, Cordell McClary and Luis Medrano) launched one of the highest-octane and activity packed holiday weekends I've ever been apart of.
Miami was the perfect backdrop for this sexy, ultra-classy affair where I received eye candy that will have me running to the dentist for a fill in. In a twist this year the 4 Star Hyatt Regency Miami happily welcomed the 'gay dollar' as it acted as the host hotel instead of the satellite hotel from previous years. The city welcomed the black gay community with open arms as the mayor of the booming metropolis, Carlos Alvarez, delivered a personal welcome letter that was included in the events brochure.
Droves of same gender loving men and women came from all across the world to be a part of an event that is catered to us-and most importantly by us. From The Sizzle Booze Cruise, The True Queens Of Comedy, The Haulover Beach Control, Carnival, and everything in between. The Sizzle organization executed the daunting task of providing interesting yet sexy events flawlessly.
But don't think the Memorial Day weekend was just about parties and clubbing because it wasn't. When I needed to get away and relax I strolled on over to Sizzle Village and lost myself in the movie lounge, caught up on some emails in the Cyber Café, and just laid back in the hospitality lounge. There was a fascinating open-forum discussion on online hook-ups and sex moderated by Derrick L. Briggs. Andre Mizrahi, in association with Sizzle Miami, presented the Bring It Ball where contestants competed for a cash prize of $7, 500.00.
Since this was my inception to the ultra-elegant, five-day excursion I'll have to admit that there were a few things I did right, and a few things I did wrong. I thought that I would compile a list of do's and don'ts that will guarantee you the best experience possible while you make Miami your destination for next year's first Summer holiday weekend.
1. Purchase a VIP card! Sizzle offers different VIP access cards that secure your admission to every Sizzle sponsored event. There's no waiting in line, no worrying about getting into a party, nothing. I had one and I got the chance to see everything while my friends weren't so lucky. If you're a true baller might I suggest the VIP Black Card!
2. Rent your own vehicle and book your own hotel room!! Let's face it, friends are great and you want to experience a great time while in their company. But when it comes to hook-ups, and late night adventures, it's best that you have your own accommodations so that you don't have to answer to anyone or wait for anybody when you're out and about.
3. Leave the attitude at home! Listen, everybody knows that we gays can be some shady bitches, however, when you're coming to a gay event you need to be as open to meeting as many people as possible. In the long run you're only hurting yourself by walking around acting like your shit don't stink.
4. Safe sex is very important, but I think it's pointless to waste your money on condoms upon arriving. Every place I went over the weekend seemed to have free condoms (yes, even the ones to fit us blessed downstairs bruthas). I didn't even get a chance to crack open the fresh box of Magnum XL's I brought with me.
5. LEAVE YOUR BOYFRIENDS AT HOME!!! I can't stress this suggestion enough. This event, as classy as it is, isn't for couples. There are so many scantily clad men walking around that are bound to approach you with things other then "getting to know you" on their mind. Just don't play yourself by bringing your significant other. There are bound to be issues! I personally witnessed three couples break up while in attendance. I'm not advocating cheating, but I am sure that you're better off declining an advance on your own rather then in the company of your mate.
6. Don't get an attitude with event employees, hotel staff, or security. It's a crazy ass weekend and everybody is trying to accommodate everybody. Try to take into consideration the daunting task everyone is attempting to deal with to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
7. Tip your bartenders! That doesn't need further explanation.
8. Bring enough money to cover your own expenses. This is another rule that I can't stress enough. With it being a holiday weekend, things are going to cost a little more than normal. Make sure your budget can accommodate you so that you don't have to impede on anyone else's finances to support your fun.
9. Don't leave your drink unattended for any reason! I had a friend fall victim to someone slipping a substance into his drink which had us rushing him to the hospital. If you put your drink down and walk away from it for any reason, consider it a wash and just purchase another one.
10. Have fun, be responsible, and make it a weekend to remember!